Welcomes you

Rideau Lakes Bassmasters

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Boating Help/Questions > 90HP Merc seems to drop a cylinder

Alex Combe
Hey guys, any help would work. When tromping on it or when cruising wot the boat seems to drop a cylinder. You can almost time it. If you're full throttle, it drops down, u ease back off the throttle it will "kick" in at about 2800 rpn. The carbs are clean, bad fuel drained, new 91 put in it, anti siphon valve good. Lost... Can't hook up to a computer, its a 2010 3 cyl, 3 carb merc. I'm pretty sure it's electrical. Anyone know any tests or anything I can perform on it?
July 17, 2014 at 8:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Derek Elmer
Site Owner

Alex,  any luck figuring out the problem?   I am not familiar with the mercs but possibly it could be the throttle position sensor?   Have a look at the throttle plates in the throat of the carbs and make sure nothing has come loose?  Is there a seperate coil for each cylinder?  Take the hood off when cruising and listen for any snap sound that could be a plug wire breaking down,   I had to change one on a 50hp merc that was doing exactly what you describe.  It was arching through the boot to the head.    Hope all of this does matter because you got it running properly?

--

Thanks to Impact Battery Kingston and Smartbaits for their support!

August 1, 2014 at 9:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.